Is it possible to obtain a residence permit after a refusal of asylum?

<p><span class="NormalTextRun SCXW114238100 BCX0">If the application for asylum is refused, a child may be granted a temporary residence permit pursuant to the Danish Alien Act, Article 9c, Section 3, subsection 2, if the Danish authorities assess that the child will be exposed to a actual emergency situation if returned to the country of origin, due to the absence of any network or family and of appropriate care facilities. Such a permit can only be prolonged until the child turns 18 years old. </span><span class="NormalTextRun SCXW114238100 BCX0"> </span> </p>

Children with residence permits pursuant to the Danish Alien Act, Article 9c, Section 3, subsection 2 can apply for a new residence permit according to Article 9c, Section 1 (special circumstances). It is important to make the application before the child is 18 years old since the Danish Immigration authorities will only process the application if it has been submitted before the age of 18.  

DRC Danish Refugee Council provides legal counselling to unaccompanied minor asylum seekers. DRC also offers legal counselling to children with temporary residence permits who will soon be 18 years old. We recommend contacting us at least a few months before the child is 18.